Naming a Gun Trust 

By  Dennis Brislawn

Recently I discussed trust names with the NFA Branch.  While you can use almost any name for a trust, there are choices that help NFA Branch to process trusts more expediently.  Some simple suggestions were made and I share them here to help you get through the application process easier.

1.  ATF wants to know the name of the trust and to match the name of the applicant to it.

INFORMAL (SIMPLE) TRUST NAMING CONVENTION:  “Smith Gun Trust” or “John Smith Gun Trust”.

A simple name like this is preferred (not required) by the BATFE NFA Branch.  Refer back to point #1 above.

And, yes, this puts your name into the National Firearms Registry and Transfer Record (NFRTR).  But when you get your Form 4 back, it must accompany your NFA firearm whereever it goes.  If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer, having YOUR name match up with YOUR trust will make it far simpler to explain your possession of a silencer, AOW, or whatever you are entitled to have.

2.  Doing business with a bank or insurance company may require more information.

When you conduct business with a bank or insurance company, often a fuller description of a trust is helpful.  Therefore GunDocx(TM) trusts also include a more complete naming convention to use.  If, for example, you want to provide some liquidity for your trustee to use to maintain your collection, ship it, insure it, etc., you may fund your gun trust with a checking account or make it a beneficiary of a life insurance policy.

FORMAL TRUST NAMING CONVENTION: “Smitty Smith, Trustee, or his successors, of the Smith Gun Trust dated October 1, 2011, and any amendments thereto.”

Hope this helps.

About the author 

Dennis Brislawn

Dennis is a partner in Northwest Gun Law Group.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Subscribe to our newsletter now!